Looking for laughs in Vancouver this week? Check out these stand-up, improv and puppet shows around the city.
1) Vancouver International Puppet Festival on Granville Island, October 14 to 16 at various times.
Granville Island will explode with animated characters this October in the very first Vancouver International Puppet Festival. This unique event happens over 3 days and nights with performances, workshops, interactive panel discussions, and screenings of the work of local and international puppeteers, puppet builders, and object animators.
2) UBC Improv’s “First Show of the Year” at Scarfe 100, 7:00 pm on October 14
With October in full swing, it’s time for UBC Improv’s official “First Show of the Year”. The show consists of three improv sets, each featuring a woven comedy tapestry inspired by audience suggestions.
3) Geeks versus Nerds – Afterlife of the Party at Seven Dining Lounge, 7:00 pm on October 15
Geeks versus Nerds Vancouver kicks off their fourth season with a Spooky Scary Halloween Showdown. The first debate features Ash Williams versus Hellboy in “Who is the greatest blue collar fighter of the macabre?” Once the dust and dusk have settled, it’s Vampires versus Werewolves in “Who would run the most killer Halloween party?”
4) Debra DiGiovanni at The Biltmore Cabaret, 8:00 pm on October 16
Debra DiGiovanni has been called the “Best Comedian to see after a Messy Break Up”, and for three years running was named Canada’s favorite female comedian. She was a finalist on NBC’s Last Comic Standing, often appears on CBC radio’s The Debaters, and has become a nationwide favorite on the hugely popular Much Music’s Video On Trial.
5) Little Mountain Improv – One Year Anniversary at Little Mountain Gallery, 8:00 pm on October 18
Little Mountain Improv celebrates it’s first anniversary with special guests The Sunday Service, long and short form improv, and updates on how everything is going for bees, there is a lot to love.